Peggy is a native New Englander.
A lifelong desire to become a nurse led her to Boston, and Massachusetts General Hospital. While working there after graduation, Peggy met a “southern boy,” Harvard Medical Student David Gilmour. The two spent several years in Boston, completing school (Peggy went on to get her Master’s degree in Nursing from Boston University), and working in academic hospitals.
In 1973, Peggy and David moved to NH, where David began his 30 year practice as an Internist and Cardiologist in Nashua, and Peggy began her work in community based health care. Through her first job here as a visiting nurse, she learned the roads of New Hampshire well!
The Gilmour’s have lived in Hollis for 40+ years and there they raised their two children, Rebecca and Jonathan, along with numerous dogs, cats, ferrets and all kinds of other creatures.
Peggy’s work in health care has continued:
- In 1984, participated with community leaders to establish the first hospice in southern NH.
- As Executive Director of Community Hospice, lead efforts to integrate two VNAs and Hospice to form Home Health and Hospice Care in Nashua.
- As President and CEO of HHHC from 1994 to 2002, led the organization in the provision of home health services to the elderly, the acute and chronically ill, children, newborns, and those at the end of life.
- Lead the successful building of the Community Hospice House in Merrimack, the first inpatient and residential hospice in NH.
- Maintains a business of healthcare consulting.
Peggy has a long history of community service. Her activities, current and past, include:
- Board of Directors, Gateways Community Service
- Board of Directors, NAMI-NH
- Board of Directors, Neighborhood Health Center for Greater Nashua
- Board of Trustees, Hunt Community
- Board of Directors, Keystone Hall (Greater Nashua Council on Alcoholism )
- Program Review Committee, Catholic Charities of NH
- Board of Directors, American Cancer Society
- Board of Directors, Home Care Association of New Hampshire (Chair 2000-2002)
- Board of Directors, National Hospice and Palliative Care Association
- Board of Directors, NH Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Board of Trustees (Chair) Nutt Hospital Foundation
Peggy has most recently been honored for professional and community contributions with:
- New Hampshire Charitable Foundation Humanitarian Award
- Home Care Association of NH Home Care Service Award
- The Foundation for Healthy Communities Innovator’s Award
- NH Children’s Advocacy Network, Lighting the Way Award
- American Association of Nurse Practioners Legislative Advocate Award
In the State Senate, Peggy serves on the Health, Education, and Human Services Committee, and as Vice-Chair of the Senate Transportation Committee. She has headed several study committees, is a strong business advocate earning the BIA’s Champion of Business designation, and has earned the respect of colleagues and constituents regardless of political party.
Peggy spends her spare time with her two grandchildren, reading, hiking, geocaching, training her German Shepherd Veronica and ChiPoo Dorothy to visit local nursing homes and the Hospice House.